Sunday 25 January 2009

HMS Intrepid - It should never happen to a Lady.


Some of you may know that I served in the Royal Navy for sixteen years (1986-2002). So it was with great sadness that I found out that HMS Intrepid was being scrapped in Liverpool. Intrepid was my first ship. I went to sea on her as a stoker at the tender age of seventeen and I have many fond memories of my four years on her. She was an old steam ship - work hard - play hard. It's a shame to see her being torn apart. Pictures HERE.

3 comments:

Nich Starling said...

I remember reading about the fact that some other navies found it very odd that the Royal navy had any steam ships at all.

We all, sadly, have a life span. I guess they had to scrap her or someone would have gone on about her destroying the ozone layer.

Brian said...

Serves the Royal Navy right for docking her overnight in Liverpool without giving a local scally a tenner to make sure INTREPID wouldn't be up on bricks with bits missing. "Eh, Admiral, want to buy a steam turbine, like?" Her sister ship FEARLESS suffered the greater indignity of being towed to Belgium for scrapping.
It's always sad to see the end of any ship as she's been home and workplace for her crews (how many thousands would have served on her in her career?) but at least HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark have taken over the duties of the FEARLESS class ships.

CherryPie said...

A sad day indeed!