Sunday 29 April 2007

Egyptian Blogger calling himself 'Sandmonkey' is forced offline.



A major blogger in Egypt has quit after what he calls harassment by security services.
Sandmonkey posted his last entry on Saturday saying: “One of the chief reasons (for quitting) is the fact that there has been too much heat around me lately. I no longer believe that my anonymity is kept, especially with state security agents lurking around my street and asking questions about me”

The blog criticised President Hosni Mubarak's 26-year-old regime and the Islamisation of Egyptian society. Sandmonkey also posted articles on the arrests of political activists, police brutality and videos of alleged vote-rigging in a referendum for constitutional amendments.

In April, blogger Abdel Moneim Mahmud was arrested for criticising the government's human rights record. In February, blogger Abdel Karim Suleiman was sentenced to four years in prison for insulting religion and defaming the president.

Full Story HERE

Go ahead make my day

No comments: